Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Monday Update 6-17-2019

I finished reading The Glasswright's Apprentice. Actually I finished it last week, but yeah. There is a character who's initially autistic-coded, and portrayed as deliberately playing up his echolalia to scree with his abusive brother and his Evil Royal Advisor, and I really wanted to talk about how that's a thing actual autistic people sometimes do, minus the evil royal advisor, usually. And how his speech patterns shift when he's infodumping about battlefield strategy. And how, fueled by adrenaline and necessity he manages to go all Neurotypical Crown Prince for like 5 minutes but he's exhausted afterwards. Only towards the very end of the book, we're told that his apparent neurodivergence is all an act to help him not get assassinated. Glasswright's Apprentice is the first in a trilogy, and I'm hoping book 2 will walk this back somewhat, like he is actually autistic but he played it up a lot to protect himself. But at the moment I'm very disappointed.
I've moved on to reading Night Veil, the second book in the Indigo Court series by Yasmine Galenorn, and listening to the audiobook of Middlegame by Seanan McGuire. I don't have a lot of thoughts to share about Night Veil other than that the name Rhiannon is weirdly overrepresented in urban fantasy. I have a lot of thoughts about Middlegame, but I think I'll wait until I've finished it.
I'm apparently just not recovered enough from Missouri and its exacerbation of my Health Stuff to do much creative writing yet. So I don't have anything to report on that front except: Don't keep a job for the health insurance if it leaves you without the time and energy to see a doctor.
If everything goes to plan, you'll get a non-update post, and our first actual book review, by the end of the month.
Until then, be gay, do crimes, and read ALL the things.

No comments:

Post a Comment