Thursday, November 5, 2020

Quick Update on Goals

Photo by Eleanor Chen on Unsplash
While the chaos of moving has put me catastrophically behind on my of my objectives, there was an
unexpected silver lining. When I went to the mall to double check the phone number of the cell phone repair place, so that I could commence bothering them about how to get it (and, sadly, my money) back so I could have it repaired somewhere closer to the new place, it turned out they were back up and running, and having once been poked about it, they were able to get it done in about an hour, so I once again have a working phone. Since we only lost a little over a month of this year, that means time-based goals are back on the table, although for the sake of continuity we will be keeping the pages read goal as well. Right now, I'm looking at the same as last year, 1200 hours of reading and 1000 hours of writing, since I didn't have a chance to actually test those out. Trackers will be going up in the sidebar in the next few days. 

Also, it is NaNo WriMo. Longtime readers, and anyone who's met me, will know that I share Chris Brecheen's reservations about NaNo, and that even if I thought trying to write 50,000 words in a month weren't completely unreasonable for most writers, I certainly can't do it. But I like to set a goal for November that I think I might actually meet, in order to both capitalize on and contribute to the general energy of The Month When Everyone Is Writing A Lot. Having failed at goals of 60 handwritten pages in 2018, and 50 in 2019, this year, we're going for 40.  That's 40 pages of fiction on a single project - this year it's the urban fantasy story - and it doesn't get its own tracker, but I'll try to keep you all posted on how I'm doing, and let you know how I did on December 1st. 

Whatever you do, or don't do, for NaNoWriMo, I wish you the best of luck with it. Be gay, do crimes, and read All The Things! 

No comments:

Post a Comment