Wednesday, November 2, 2022

NaNo Goals 2022

Photo by Saymom Leão on Unsplash
 As longtime readers know, I don't try to write 50,000 words in November. This is the first year on record when 50,000 words would not, indeed, exceed my entire annual fiction writing goal. I do, however, always try to do something, to both contribute to and benefit from the general "getting lots of writing done" energy of the month. This year, we have three goals. 

  1. Write fiction every day. I already write every day at this point, even if it is sometimes only for like five minutes, but maybe, I don't know, 1/3 of days, all of that is blogging, freelance work, or other things that aren't fiction. I don't ever, ever set annual goals that can be "failed" by a missed day, but NaNo is different. We'll see how well we do.
  2. Finish Ghani. That's my Wheel of Time TV series fic, of which I am currently writing the last chapter of the current installment. Any day now, we could get a release date for Season 2, and I already needed to finish Ghani before it begins, but I am also and specifically going to have this final chapter completed and published before the end of the month, even if it becomes clear in a few weeks that Season 2 will not start until later. 
  3. Write 5000 words of original fiction, on the computer. This is the big one, and it's kind of a reach. I wrote more than 5000 words of fiction in October, but it was pretty much all fanfiction, and this goal is on top of an already rather ambitious goal for progress on my fic. The big thing, though, is that this is my attempt at actually drafting on the computer again, for the first time in years, which, if successful, should improve my overall speed considerably. 

 So that's what we're doing. As always, the exigencies of NaNo may put some strain on the usual blog posts, although it is my hope and intention to have the next Dresden Files post - which is currently partly completed - ready for you in the next couple of days. There will be a follow-up at the end of the month to discuss how I did and what I learned. Until next time, be gay, do crimes, and read all the things.

No comments:

Post a Comment