Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Tuesday Update On Wednesday 10/10/2017

One of the things this blog is for is so that I can get a feel for what actually affects my ability to write, versus what's just unpleasant or time consuming. (Even in a really busy week, I can hit my minimum goal of one non-update post every week if I'm able to think and write at all). This past week was one of the roughest on record, and was apparently of the former sort. I'm yet another week behind on just about everything, I have bruises that I don't entirely know how they happened, and I didn't even think about blogging. I did actually get some writing done, but that was earlyish in the week.

Reading
Well, I finished the audiobook of Ashes of Honor, and...yeah, that's about it. I think. Unless finishing the audiobook of Empire of Ivory was sometime last week as well. Aside from work related stuff, the only reading I've done of an actual book was getting a ways into Magic Lessons. The world is still intriguing as hell, but the ratio of "And then another thing went wrong, delaying any further explanation for dozens more pages because Plot" to actual explanations is becoming frustrating. Also, Mere's secretiveness around some things makes sense, but she's secretive about everything, and that doesn't make sense, unless not only the character but the text itself is drastically misleading us about her motivations. At least it's a quick enough read that even when I'm stuck for hundreds of pages without an answer, it still doesn't need to be more than a day if I actually sit down and read.

Writing
Apparently I only did about an hour and a half of writing last week (94 minutes), but I got a bunch of worldbuilding work done, figuring out details like what colors are associated with what elements, and what they do about dead people. I don't even know if anyone is going to die in the book yet, but I like to have as much of things worked out in advance as possible. Of course, all of this is still only for the culture the protagonist comes from, but I probably won't build the others too intensely until I'm closer to having them actually show up in the story. I will say that starting on the ground in one spot and building out seems to work a lot better than a top-down approach.

Publishing
Very marginal progress reading slush. Little bit of movement on a project I'm not at liberty to disclose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment