Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Wednesday update?! 10-18-2017

It's possible that going forward these will just be Wednesday updates, since apparently that's the day that they end up happening.

Reading
Not a whole lot. I have now listened to all three of the Bone Street Rumba novels, although not in order. Got partway through the audiobook of Another Fine Myth, which I have not read before, and then got distracted. I'm partway through Magic's Child. The ongoing lack of explanations is becoming frustrating. I should probably just get through the damn thing, but I have no idea how it's going to get to any conclusion under than "magic is evil" in the page space available without resorting to a massive exposition dump. We'll see, though.

Writing
Nothing but more worldbuilding notes. Fleshing out all kinds of details of the protagonist's home country, so that I don't have to be making those decisions on the fly while actual plot is happening. Trying to work out some details about what role magic plays in different jobs.

Publishing
I read a few more pieces of slush, including one that I was hoping would be a lot better than it was. I don't have anything that I can extrapolate out to a general observation about publishing, but I will say this, for writers: Your basic idea is boring. Be specific. Particularization will get you everywhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment