Monday, September 30, 2019

2019-2020 Eeveeyear Writing and Reading Goals

This is what I'm hoping to get done this coming year, starting October 1st. These goals are ambitious, and I probably won't meet all of them. That's okay, I'll see how well I do and it will be a learning experience. Some of them might also seem a bit asymmetrical. Sometimes that's because of non-obvious factors on my end (My freelance work sometimes requires that I read Very Long books which will contribute a lot to reading time but not a lot to book count). Sometimes it's because they are, because I'm making this up as I go and I'm only a little better at intuiting numbers than most people.
Writing Goals:
1. Write for 1000 hours. (Includes drafting and editing my own fiction, editing other people's fiction, all freelance writing, writing and editing blog posts).
2. Write 250 handwritten pages. (Includes fiction, blog posts, and occasional other things. Includes rewriting, where applicable, as well as drafting).
3. Write 30,000 words of fiction. This may be waaay too hight or too low. (Includes words of fiction transcribed from handwritten drafts or written directly on the computer).
4. Get at least two short stories ready to submit around.

Reading Goals:
1. Read 100 books. (Includes physical books, entire issues of fiction magazines, ebooks, audiobooks that I haven't read or listened to before, Fantasist submissions over 30k words, initial reads of manuscripts over 30k for editing or beta reading, any 25 short stories that could not otherwise be counted).
2. Read for 1200 hours. (Includes the above, plus portions of books that I do not intend to read in full, and short stories are timed individually, not in groups of 25).

Progress bars for most of these goals will go up over the course of the next day or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment