Thursday, August 10, 2017

My Drafting Process (micro)

This is how I work when I'm generating new material. It's the process I use for working on novels, and usually for short stories and essays as well, unless it's an impulse driven, single-session drafting kind of thing, in the former case, or I need to refer extensively to electronic materials that are annoying to look at on my phone, in the latter.
I go outside with a notebook, a pen, some kind of liquids, cigarettes, and, if I'm feeling really, really organized, a snack. I dress for the weather, to the best of my ability. I do also take my phone, because the likelihood of stalling from not knowing a fact or an etymology or something is higher for me than the likelihood of getting catastrophically distracted. It also allows me to keep track of time, and to refer back to what I've already written on previous days if I need to. I usually know what project I'm planning to work on, but if I don't, I might have a list of active projects, or make one, and roll a die to decide. (I also have a dice-roller app on my phone). Sometimes I listen to music. If I'm feeling especially Serious, I might take the trouble to use a writing playlist, but generally I just listen to whatever I'm into lately. I try not to put my whole iPod on shuffle, because having to stop and skip something I'm not liking can break the flow. I don't have a special pen, but I like something that writes easily. I use the same notebook that I use for everything else. This is all a good deal simpler and faster than the above giant paragraph makes it look.
I sit down some way that I hope will take at least 30 minutes to make my joints hate me. I open my notebook to the first blank page, and if I haven't used it for anything else that day, I put the date at the top of the page. I often go back a few pages or look on my phone to remember where exactly I was, 'cause I'm terrible at transitions, and it's not unheard-of for me to just skip them by accident if I don't check. Then I start writing. The goal is to fill a single page; two if my current notebook is especially small or wide ruled. Crossouts and corrections are absolutely allowed, although if I have to cross out a large section (a paragraph or more, not counting single lines of dialogue) then I have to get that many lines onto the next page. Misspellings and similar get scribbled out, but anything else that needs to be corrected, I put a single strikethrough line so I can still read it. (Yeah, I was trained for science before I was trained as a writer, but it's not a bad compromise between "Never delete anything while you're drafting!!" and letting the "internal editor" get rid of something you might want later). If I realize I need to add something to a bit I've already written, I write a number in a circle where the addition goes, draw a line along the next line in my notebook, put the same circled number right under it, write the additional bit, and then put another line under it, and continue from wherever I was when I realized I needed to go back and add something. If I still feel like writing when I've done a full page, I do keep going, but unless I'm feeling really driven, I do try to stop before I'm 100% out of thoughts. If I get stuck for too long on a description, a transition, or a worldbuilding detail, I write what the missing bit, or question, is in brackets and keep going. (Yes, I write bigger or smaller depending on how much I feel like challenging my stamina).
Then, ideally right after, although it's been known to take up to 3 months, I type the new material up in the document I'm using for the thing. This is when the first round of line edits happens. I fix spelling and punctuation errors, and awkward sentences if I can think of a way to do it. If not, I'll put a comment on that says "Awkward, fix." or something. If I notice a bigger issue, like that I skipped a transition, or need to expand a paragraph, I make a note of that too. Sometimes I do it right then. Since I'm almost always tracking my word count somehow, I check the word count and record it wherever. With the exception of the 20,000 hours project, I don't usually pay much attention to writing time. It's too squishy.
Also I finished Small Favor. Tune in next time for my macro-level process. Probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment